New LEED Platinum Campus Life Center
IMEG provided engineering design and services for the new Campus Life Center at Emory University. The project was driven by the university’s growing space demands, a desire for larger, more flexible and efficient dining services, technology and infrastructure upgrades, and more room for student organizations and gathering spaces.
The 115,000-sf building includes dining facilities, 1,200-seat event space, a black box theater, retail space, administrative spaces, building support spaces, and areas where students can socialize.
Sustainable and energy-efficient systems include:
- Dedicated outside air and chilled beams in the office spaces
- Displacement ventilation in the two-story commons area and multi-purpose spaces
- Hydronic geothermal heat pumps
- Radiant floors in the commons areas
- Heat recovery in the air handling units
- LED lighting
- Solar shading
- High-performance envelope
- Ceiling fans to allow for increased space set points
In addition, the university has a water hub that collects and treats sanitary waste water. This water is being considered for irrigation and supplying flushing fixtures.
The project was awarded LEED Platinum certification.