New LEED Platinum Student Center
IMEG provided engineering design and services for Emory University’s new Emory Student Center. The project was driven by the university’s growing space demands, a desire for larger, more flexible and efficient dining services, technology and infrastructure upgrades, and more room for student organizations and gathering spaces.
The 115,000-sf building includes dining facilities, 1,200-seat event space, a black box theater, retail space, administrative spaces, building support spaces, and areas where students can socialize.
Sustainable and energy-efficient systems include:
- Dedicated outside air and chilled beams in the office spaces
- Displacement ventilation in the two-story commons area and multi-purpose spaces
- Hydronic geothermal heat pumps
- Radiant floors in the commons areas
- Heat recovery in the air handling units
- LED lighting
- Solar shading
- High-performance envelope
- Ceiling fans to allow for increased space set points
In addition, the university has a water hub that collects and treats sanitary waste water. This water is being considered for irrigation and supplying flushing fixtures.
The project was awarded LEED Platinum certification.