Historic Building Re-purpose
The First Bank of the United States is a National Historic Landmark, owned and maintained by the National Park Service. Constructed in 1795 to house the first federal bank chartered by Congress in 1791, the building fronts South Third Street and borders Carpenters’ Hall, within the eastern edge of Independence National Historical Park.
IMEG was engaged as part of a multi-disciplinary team to re-purpose the First Bank as a museum to interpret the history and evolution of the United States financial system. The 24,000-sf building houses reception area, orientation, exhibit functions, conference rooms, expanded restrooms, offices, an employee lounge, catering support, and storage. The design features a three story “core” addition on the west side of the building to provide vertical circulation and utility pathways, while preserving the historic building interior. IMEG provided mechanical, electrical, fire protection, and security systems engineering design services for the project.