Putting People and Planet First
IMEG is passionate about people and engineering, but we are also passionate about the planet. With that in mind, our firm has integrated environmentally-friendly policies and practices into our organization that promote energy, water, and carbon emissions conservation, and waste reduction. We also integrate our sustainable stewardship within our design work, helping clients reduce their environmental impact and risk while maximizing value. Visit our Services section to learn more.
As experts in the field of sustainability we hold ourselves responsible for sustainable design solutions that provide healthy buildings that are aesthetically pleasing, use less energy, deplete fewer natural resources, generate less waste, provide flexible environments for occupants, and are within the client’s budget. We have more than 150 professionals accredited in LEED, WELL, energy modeling, and other industry leading affiliations. We have also engineered many “firsts” in high-performance design, including:
- 1st Hospital in U.S. Served by Lake-Coupled Geothermal System
- One of the first hospitals to reach EnergyStar score of 100 with EUI of 100
- Largest Lake-Coupled Geothermal System Serving a Hospital in the U.S.
- Largest LEED Platinum Office Building in the U.S.
- 1st Certified LEED Platinum Data Center in the U.S.
- 1st Certified LEED Platinum University Building in Illinois
- 1st Certified LEED Hospital in Wisconsin
- 1st Certified LEED Hospital in Iowa
Working to Make Every Day Earth Day
Just as sustainability is an important aspect of our design philosophy, we also strive to ensure our internal operations emphasize the importance of inclusion, openness, and science as our commitment to people and the planet grows ever stronger. On Earth Day 2018, IMEG launched an internal, corporate-wide sustainability policy to reduce our carbon footprint at all offices. As one of the largest U.S. engineering firms specializing in sustainable design, we recognized a great opportunity — and need — to expand our environmental stewardship. A year into our efforts, we are well on our way to “walking the walk” in the offices in which we design many of the country’s most energy-efficient buildings. Our staff have made great progress toward reaching our policy’s goals, finding innovative ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Our achievements so far include:
- 300,000+ disposable cups, silverware, and plates diverted from landfills
- 1,000+ pounds of coffee ground compost delivered to farmers
- 50% (or higher) recycled content paper used at 50% of IMEG’s offices
- 2,000+ meals to animal shelters funded through aluminum can donations
- WELL Gold certification of IMEG’s Denver office