Historic Hospital Conversion to Mixed-Use Facility
IMEG provided structural engineering design for the conversion of the historic Columbia Hospital for Women into a residential/mixed-use facility in Washington, D.C.
The former hospital was transformed into a 394,000-sf residential/mixed-use facility called The Columbia Residences. The six-story hospital was built in 1915 in the neoclassical Italian Renaissance Style including two Y-shaped wings, a red tile roof, and open-air porches. Two new nine-story towers were built on either side of the original hospital. The new facility includes approximately 225 condominiums and 28,000-sf of ground floor retail space. In addition, there are two levels of below-grade parking totaling 147,500-sf containing approximately 330 spaces.
As with all conversion/renovation projects, The Columbia Residences presented distinct design challenges, including maintaining the landmark status of the structure and site.