National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility
The National Bio and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF) being constructed in Manhattan, KS at a site adjacent to Kansas State University is a next generation biological and agricultural defense facility to replace the aging facility at Plum Island. IMEG participated in the DHS lead site selection feasibility study and provided security planning, design and engineering services, and is currently providing construction administration services for the security systems installation. Security systems include:
- Access control and alarm monitoring screening
- CCTV monitoring and recording
- Security data communications
- Security voice communications and connection to DHS headquarters security monitoring systems.
The project consists of the following laboratory facilities and outbuildings:
- Main Research Building – 504,000 sf
- cGMP Research Lab – 13,000 sf
- Entry Guard House – 1,000 sf
- Central Receiving Facility – 22,000 sf
- Central Utility Plant (CUP) – 56,000 sf
- Parking – General surface parking for staff and visitors
One of the two laboratory buildings will be the primary research building containing the BSL-2, BSL-3E, BSL-3Ag, and BSL-4 laboratories. The other laboratory building will be a cGMP laboratory located adjacent to the primary research laboratory.
Read a related case study on structural services IMEG provided for this project.